Assessing Public Health in Emergency Situations
This 2-week course aims to familiarize health professionals with epidemiological techniques to assess the health impact of disasters and conflicts on affected communities.
Interactive classes will be given by international experts with extensive experience in humanitarian settings.
The following subjects will be covered:
- Introduction to Epidemiology
- Nutrition in Emergencies
- Water Access, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH)
- Assessing Mortality & Cause of Death
- Food Security
- Surveying & Sampling Methods
- Sexual & Reproductive Health
- Outbreak Case Studies
- Mental Health
And many more.
Case studies will be presented and a simulation exercise will be held under the supervision and guidance of international experts. This will allow the students to put the knowledge acquired during the theoretical classes into practice. The course will concluded with an assessment that will test the knowledge acquired throughout the course and exercises.
Students and professionals with training in public health, medicine, emergency response or related topics. Experience desirable in the humanitarian and emergency management sectors.
We strive to have a diversified group of participants, balancing gender, organizational and geographical representation. Participant selection is based on the candidate's profile, examined through the application form and CV, and based on the requirements mentioned above.
1 July, 2019 (9:30 am) to 12 July, 2019 (6 pm) total: 10 days
- Participation fees: 1 750 Euros;
- UCL Alumni - Erasmus Mundus programmes (NOHA and EMMPHID) are eligible to 50% discount of the tuition fees. Others may qualify for a reduced price;
- The course registration fee covers coursework, printed materials, coffee breaks and lunches;
- Participant fees must be deposited and received by CRED by June 15, 2019; otherwise, participation will be cancelled;
- No reimbursement will be made on cancellations after June 15, 2019.
- Registration Deadline: May 31, 2019.
Please contact us to indicate you are interested in being contacted for APHES 2019.
Location and Accommodations
The course is located in Brussels, Belgium.
Special rates are also available in two hotels in the center of Brussels (50-70 € /night breakfast included).
More about the accomodations and the location.
Classes will be taught in English. English proficiency is required.